The following information is intended for only Dr. Barrett’s patients exclusively. If you have had surgery by another surgeon please follow up with that surgeon for particular details about your surgery.
Congratulations on completing your surgery! Please reference these instructions over the coming weeks as you begin your recovery process.
- A responsible adult must provide transportation for you after surgery (public transportation/Uber is not permissible).
- A responsible adult must stay with you after your surgery and overnight until the morning following the procedure. If you are having several procedures, you may need or prefer assistance for 1-2 days following your procedure.
- Avoid making major decisions or participating in activities that require judgment for 24 hours after surgery.
- Get plenty of rest and follow a balanced diet. Decreased activity and pain medication may promote constipation, so you may want to add more fresh fruit to your diet, and be sure to increase fluid intake.
- Take all medications as instructed post operatively.
- Wash your face, hair and the body the day of surgery before coming to the office, with antibacterial soap.
- Do not drive until you are no longer taking any pain medications (narcotics).
- Do not drink any alcohol for 2 weeks after your procedure.
- Do not smoke as smoking delays healing and increases the risk of complications.
RECOMMENDED POST-OP PRODUCTS
- The Essential Surgery Recovery Optimization Kit
- Carefully curated by Dr. Barrett, each product is designed to compliment the next and assist with giving you the opportunity to have the best recovery possible.
- HealFast Pre-Op supplements (Taken ahead of surgery)
- Optimizes nutritional status prior to surgery.
- Take 4 capsules twice daily starting 5-days before surgery.
- HealFast Post-Op supplements
- Replenishes key healing nutrients and ingredients to control pain and inflammation.
- Take 4 capsules twice daily, starting 5-days before surgery.
- WildHealth CBD Oil
- Benefits include pain relief, reducing inflammation, alleviating stress and eliminating insomnia.
- Start with ½-1 dropper underneath the tongue the night of surgery.
- Hold the oil under the tongue for 30 seconds before swallowing.
- Increase dose as needed. Do not exceed 4 full droppers a day.
- Arnica Recovery Complex
- Speed healing time up to 50% allowing for faster recovery from bruising, swelling and pain.
- Take 1 capsule twice daily after surgery.
- LivingFuel Omega Super Essentials
- Anti-inflammatory effects and reduce wound infections by 50%.
- Take 1 tablet per 25 lbs of body weight. For example, if you weigh 125 lbs then take 5 tablets.
- Start 1 week after surgery
- Reduce stress levels, sleep faster and deeper, maintain normal heart rhythm and build strong bones.
- Take 2 capsules nightly.
- Increase absorption of key amino acids and certain vitamins, improve digestion and gut health, and faster muscle recovery.
- Take 3 capsules with every meal.
- A clinically tested scar cream and team favorite, Skinuva contains highlight selective growth factors combined with a silicone cream matrix.
- Skinuva improves the appearance of scars nearly two-times better when compared to a traditional silicone cream.
- Begin using 2-3 weeks post procedure, or after the incision site has begun to scab over. If you are unsure, please consult with the medical team during your pre-op appointments.
- You may shower 24 hours after surgery. Leave dressings on and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Take deep breaths often when you get home for the first 24 hours after surgery.
- When you rest or sleep, keep your head elevated on 2-3 pillows and avoid turning on your side.
- Remove the scopolamine patch from behind your ear after surgery, as it may cause blurry vision when worn for too long.
- Ice packs should be used within the first 48 hours after surgery to help with swelling. Never apply ice directly to the skin. Avoid getting your incisions wet.
- Clean incisions around your ears and under your chin with a gentle soap and water.
- Surface sutures are removed in 7-14 days.
- Keep incisions clean and inspect daily for signs of infection.
- Keep dressings on as directed.
- If you have drains they will be removed when the output is less than 20 ml per day.
- Do not eat anything spicy or hard/chewy for one week after surgery.
- No baths, hot tubs or swimming for 6 weeks.
- Avoid exposing scars to the sun for at least 12 months. Always use a strong sunblock.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Swelling is to be expected and may subside within 2-3 weeks. Some swelling may last for 2-3 months.
- Most bruising and discoloration should resolve over the first two weeks.
- Unusual sensations, pins and needles, and occasionally mild discomfort may occur as these nerves regenerate over time.
- Your final results will occur after 6-12 months
- Limit your activity sharply over the first week following surgery.
- You are encouraged to walk around the house on the day of surgery and thereafter.
- Move/pump your legs frequently while lying down.
- You may begin to return to regular exercise 4 weeks after surgery. Ease into this, gradually increasing your exercise level back to normal by 5-6 weeks from surgery.
CALL THE OFFICE IF YOU DEVELOP ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Fever of 101 degrees F or greater.
- Pain not relieved with pain medication.
- Swelling, redness, bleeding, and/or foul drainage from the incision area.
- Persistent nausea and/or vomiting.
- Any other concerns.
If you do need to seek a hospital, please go to your nearest emergency room or call 911.
Dr. Barrett maintains hospital privileges at the following hospitals:
- Providence St John’s Hospital in Santa Monica
- Good Samaritan Hospital in Downtown Los Angeles
- Southern California Hospital in Culver City