Vampire facials (more professionally known as platelet rich plasma (PRP) treatments) are a three-step medical treatment to counteract the negative effects of skin aging utilizing your own blood. Our blood is made of two components: red blood cells and plasma. The plasma contains both white blood cells and platelets. During surgery, platelets are isolated and injected into the patient’s scalp because they contain helpful growth factors that can promote new hair growth.
This skin rejuvenation procedure can be performed on a variety of skin types and conditions. Our happiest patients use this procedure to correct the following:
- Acne and/or surgical scarring
- Sun damage and pigmentation disorders
- Early and extreme cases of hair loss, such as alopecia
- Problem regions along the face, neck, and/or chest where there is noticeable skin dullness and aging
As stated earlier, vampire facials are an extensive process. Optimal results require at least three treatments scheduled 4-6 weeks apart, with follow-up maintenance every 4-6 months. Each treatment usually involves the following steps:
- Step 1: Dr. Barrett will draw blood from your arm.
- Step 2: Your blood components will then be separated into three parts: platelet-poor plasma, platelet-rich plasma, and red blood cells.
- Step 3: All the platelet-rich plasma is collected into syringes and injected into the skin wherever there is poor cell growth.
A supplementary procedure following vampire facial treatments is microneedling, otherwise known as collagen induction therapy. This is a minimally invasive and low pain procedure that is designed to combat signs of aging. In this procedure, we will create micro-injuries using a dermaroller (a small, handheld paint roller coated in tiny needles) to trick your scalp into even producing more cells, collagen, and elastin – all of which are responsible for bringing about healthier follicles and skin.
Results and Recovery
While patients will often see improvement after the first treatment, more significant results do not appear until after two to three treatments (to coincide with the body’s natural collagen production). Skin will continue to improve over the next six to twelve months post-treatment, and Dr. Barrett will provide you with a list of necessary precautions and a proper skin care regimen to ensure optimal results.