This video is intended for only Dr. Barrett’s patients exclusively. If you have had surgery by another surgeon please follow up with that surgeon for particular details about your surgery.
Congratulations on completing your surgery! Please reference these instructions over the coming weeks as you begin your recovery process.
- A responsible adult must provide transportation for you after surgery (public transportation/Uber is not permissible).
- A responsible adult must stay with you after your surgery and overnight until the morning following the procedure. If you are having several procedures, you may need or prefer assistance for 1-2 days following your procedure.
- Avoid making major decisions or participating in activities that require judgment for 24 hours after surgery.
- Get plenty of rest and follow a balanced diet. Decreased activity and pain medication may promote constipation, so you may want to add more fresh fruit to your diet, and be sure to increase fluid intake.
- Take all medications as instructed post operatively.
- Wash your face, hair and the body the day of surgery before coming to the office, with antibacterial soap.
- Do not drive until you are no longer taking any pain medications (narcotics).
- Do not drink any alcohol for 2 weeks after your procedure.
- Do not smoke as smoking delays healing and increases the risk of complications.
RECOMMENDED POST-OP PRODUCTS
- The Essential Surgery Recovery Optimization Kit
- Carefully curated by Dr. Barrett, each product is designed to compliment the next and assist with giving you the opportunity to have the best recovery possible
- HealFast Pre-Op supplements (Taken ahead of surgery)
- Optimizes nutritional status prior to surgery.
- Take 4 capsules twice daily starting 5-days before surgery.
- HealFast Post-Op supplements
- Replenishes key healing nutrients and ingredients to control pain and inflammation.
- Take 4 capsules twice daily, starting 5-days before surgery.
- WildHealth CBD Oil
- Benefits include pain relief, reducing inflammation, alleviating stress and eliminating insomnia.
- Start with ½-1 dropper underneath the tongue the night of surgery.
- Hold the oil under the tongue for 30 seconds before swallowing.
- Increase dose as needed. Do not exceed 4 full droppers a day.
- Arnica Recovery Complex
- Speed healing time up to 50% allowing for faster recovery from bruising, swelling and pain.
- Take 1 capsule twice daily after surgery.
- LivingFuel Omega Super Essentials
- Anti-inflammatory effects and reduce wound infections by 50%.
- Take 1 tablet per 25 lbs of body weight. For example, if you weigh 125 lbs then take 5 tablets.
- Reduce stress levels, sleep faster and deeper, maintain normal heart rhythm and build strong bones.
- Take 2 capsules nightly.
- Increase absorption of key amino acids and certain vitamins, improve digestion and gut health, and faster muscle recovery.
- Take 3 capsules with every meal.
- A clinically tested scar cream and team favorite, Skinuva contains highlight selective growth factors combined with a silicone cream matrix.
- Skinuva improves the appearance of scars nearly two-times better when compared to a traditional silicone cream.
- Begin using 2-3 weeks post procedure, or after the incision site has begun to scab over. If you are unsure, please consult with the medical team during your pre-op appointments.
- For the first 3 days, sleep with your back elevated using pillows for support. After 3 days, you may sleep flat on your back until week 2 post-operative.
- Remove the scopolamine patch from behind your ear after surgery, as it may cause blurry vision when worn for too long.
- Shower 24 hours after surgery. Leave the steri strips on and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Surface sutures are removed in 5-14 days.
- Keep incisions clean and inspect daily for signs of infection.
- If you receive a compression garment, please wear it for 2 weeks after surgery.
- Keep steri-strips on for 2-4 weeks as directed by Dr. Barrett.
- After taping, you will start Skinuva twice daily, massaging firmly into incisions.
- No baths, hot tubs or swimming for 6 weeks.
- Avoid exposing scars to the sun for at least 12 months. Always use a strong sunblock.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Temporary pain, soreness, numbness, and/or incision discomfort may occur. This is normal.
- Bruising and swelling is normal in the chest, as well as the abdomen as it can travel downward due to gravity.
- Light bleeding at the incision site is normal up to 48 hours after surgery.
- It can take up to 6 months for nipple sensation to return.
- It is normal to feel a bit anxious or depressed in the days or weeks following surgery; but generally, after about a week, you should begin to feel better.
- Scars will be reddened for 6 months. After that, they will fade and soften.
- You are encouraged to walk around the house on the day of surgery and thereafter.
- Move/pump your legs frequently while lying down. This also helps prevent blood clots.
- Resume activities slowly. You may feel tired for the first few days.
- No exercise for 2 weeks. At 2 weeks you can start to exercise but no impact or upper body. Stair workouts or incline walking are ideal.
- No sexual activity for 2 weeks and resume as comfort permits.
CALL THE OFFICE IF YOU DEVELOP ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Fever of 101 degrees F or greater.
- Pain not relieved with pain medication.
- Swelling, redness, bleeding, and/or foul drainage from the incision area.
- Persistent nausea and/or vomiting.
- Any other concerns.
- If you have not urinated after 6 hours of being home from surgery, please contact our office.
If you do need to seek a hospital, please go to your nearest emergency room or call 911.
Dr. Barrett maintains hospital privileges at the following hospitals:
- Providence St John’s Hospital in Santa Monica
- Good Samaritan Hospital in Downtown Los Angeles
- Southern California Hospital in Culver City