The following information is intended for only Dr. Barrett’s patients exclusively. If you have had surgery by another surgeon please follow up with that surgeon for particular details about your surgery.
Congratulations on completing your surgery! Please reference these instructions over the coming weeks as you begin your recovery process.
- You will have the area(s) covered with steri-strips (adhesive tape) for at least 4 – 7 days, possibly longer depending on healing and the area of removal.
- Expect to return to the office after 1 week to remove sutures.
- If you experience any discomfort, you may take Tylenol or pain medication every 4 to 6 hours as needed.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages for 2 weeks post-op.
- Avoid intense exercise and or sweating for the first week.
- Use soap and water to gently cleanse around the tape as needed. If the tape gets wet, pat it dry, do not remove it.
- Swelling and bruising is very normal for up to 4 weeks. Most swelling subsides within 2 weeks.
- It is normal for healing wounds to feel slightly tender to the touch and look pink around the edges. However, if after a few days it becomes increasingly red, swollen, painful, hot or develops a discharge, please call our office.
- Anticipate purchasing Skinuva scar gel at your post-op appointment to start applying at week 3.
- Avoid direct sunlight to the incision for at least 1 year to help prevent hyperpigmentation. Use a sunscreen with zinc oxide with an SPF of 20 or greater to help decrease the visibility of the scar.