Though some people refer to them as beauty marks, and feel having one or several makes them more attractive; to others, unattractive small brown or black skin growths may come to mind. The good thing is they’re mostly benign, making them harmless and nothing to worry about when becoming visible. The bad news is that sometimes they’re not the attractive upper lip accent made famous by Cindy Crawford, and can take their toll on our self-confidence.
What are moles?
Characteristics of flesh moles include:
- Vary in shape and size
- Can appear flat to the skin or raised
- Some are hairless, while others, unfortunately, produce hair
- Can be smooth to the touch or rough
- Varies in color from yellow, brown, or dark
- Most appear during our youth and become more visible as we age
When the appearance of your moles affect your confidence, Barrett Plastic Surgery offers mole removal in Beverly Hills and the surrounding areas of Los Angeles.
Flesh Mole Removal Procedure
Removing a mole is a simple, in-office or medical center procedure and is performed one of two ways: using the surgical shave method or surgical extension. Both techniques require numbing the area before removal. A surgical shave uses a small blade to “shave” off the mole and doesn’t require stitches, and is best for petite moles. A surgical excision uses a scalpel or circular blade for larger flesh moles and removes the blemish and surrounding skin.
While there are many at-home products advertised as safe for mole removals, it’s always best to have a certified medical professional remove a mole from your body and not resort to home solutions. It’s unsafe to use glue, wax strips, nail clippers, scissors, or kitchen knives to try and eliminate a mole. Doing so can be potentially harmful to your health with bleeding, infection, or scars.
Is Your Mole Suspicious?
While many are harmless, it’s important to keep an eye on your moles. We recommend seeking professional medical advice for an assessment should you notice any changes in color or shape. Also, know the ABCDEs of melanoma which can occur whether your skin is exposed or not to the sun:
- Asymmetry – moles that are not cancerous and typically have symmetry between the two halves
- Border – benign moles usually having a well-defined, even border
- Color – most benign moles, are all a single, uniform color
- Diameter – the size of the mole, is also paramount, as non-suspicious moles are usually smaller
- Evolving – moles that change size, shape, or color over time
When there is a likely risk, Dr. Barrett will determine to send a tissue sample for a biopsy to verify whether the mole is malignant or not.
Benefits of Mole Removal
More than just removing a random skin growth, the benefits of mole removal include:
- More confidence about your appearance;
- Peace of mind knowing your flesh mole is benign, and your skin is healthy;
- No more feeling uncomfortable from raised moles rubbing on clothing;
- Peace-of-mind in knowing the blemish is gone
A quick and easy procedure, eliminating unsightly moles can be done without significant disruption to your daily schedule, and in most cases, the results of the mole removal are permanent.
Peace of Mind, Clearer Skin with Mole Removal in Beverly Hills
We can’t all be fortunate enough to have flesh moles add to our natural beauty. If you feel embarrassed or are merely over your blemishes, the team at Barrett Plastic Surgery is ready to discuss the cosmetic procedures and treatments available by Beverly Hills certified-plastic surgeon Dr. Daniel Barrett.
To schedule a consultation, call (310) 598-2648. If you are more comfortable speaking with our team from the comfort of your home, we provide virtual non-surgical consultations or fill out the form below.
Do you want to learn more about Barrett Plastic Surgery? Keep up to date by subscribing to our blog and following us on social media at Twitter, TikTok, Instagram, Realself, YouTube, Snapchat, Yelp, and Facebook for updates.
BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS
Mole Removal on Cheek